Wednesday, August 24, 2016

5 tips to inspire you to do a Whole30

Do you want to reset your body? Have you heard of the Whole30? It is a way of eating that cuts out all the crap! I am starting my third round and wanted to put all these tips out there for anyone who is just starting their first.





My first Whole30 was extreme fatigue and withdraws. I had put on 20 lbs in the 3 years I had been with my hubby and it was some serious cookie addition going on. So that was the reason for my carb flu. Who knew there was such a thing. I had no way to deal with it. I just suffered through.


Tip 1.
If you start to suffer from the carb flu, First: take a deep breath and know that this to shall pass. Second: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I didn't follow this the first round because I hated water so I was having a problem with the transition, but by round two I was a water pro and made sure to have plenty. For me the first time I had "Sparkling"  water I was like, WTH is this crazy stuff! It's trying to be pop, but it's NOT. Water helps with the headaches.


Tip 2.
Find your reason for doing this challenge because they use the word challenge for a reason. You will find this as a common tip for a reason, because it's true! If you have to, write it down every where. I made fun quotes to post all over my house. Put them on your fridge, on your bathroom mirror, the computer screen and your closet. Any where were you spend time looking at things have a fun post- it for motivation. I changed mine out every week.


Tip 3.
This is another one you will hear A LOT! Preparation is a MUST. You need to take the time to sit down on like a Wednesday, or whatever day during the week that works for you, and make a menu. 
If you have your menu ready, then you have a grocery list and go shopping on a Friday or Saturday. Then you are ready for prep day on Sunday. 
I usually start my Whole30 on a Sunday. I do my first prep on Saturday so that I can have a chill first day. The other 3 weeks it's on a Sunday. 


Those days may not work for everyone but the prep is a must. If you don't have at least 2 options in the fridge to just throw in the oven, on the stove or in the microwave....you will most likely cave for something easy and most likely processed.


Tip 4.
Have support. I din't have anyone doing it with me but my hubby was supportive and ate whatever it was that I was eating while he was home. It would've been funner I think to have someone doing it with me so they can understand the ups and downs. 
Someone who you can share recipes with and maybe even take turns doing prep meals. I wish I had that. Cooking and cleaning 24/7/30 gets to be a lot for just one person.
 I know that it's common place for some people, but I started this journey as a microwave queen. Pull the box out of the freezer and wallah your done. That doesn't happen with this challenge. 


Tip 5.
Learn to forgive, YOURSELF! You will feel like giving up and have some negative thoughts. Just let it go and move on. You will think "is this really worth it" I am hear to say YES. 
I didn't have any of the typical NSV lots of people talk about, like clear skin, better energy and lose clothes, but that's OK. I tried to remember it was my journey and not anyone else's. If you loose weight than great, if you don't, that's still great. You just made it 30 days training your body to not need unhealthy foods and that's a BIG deal. You should be proud of yourself.







Extra Tip:
I didn't have that much energy the first couple weeks, with either one, but I did find that just a nice little walk felt great. It doesn't have to be an extreme workout. If all you can manage is a 10 minute walk around the block, then I highly suggest you do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment