Tuesday, July 19, 2016

How much sleep you get does matter

Are you the type of person who could spend all day in bed or do you enjoy getting up at the crack of dawn and go until the ten o'clock news comes on.







I use to not think that I needed that much sleep and never felt like I was missing out. When my body wanted up, I got up and if I had things to do then I would think that I needed to get them done instead of going to bed, never thinking anything of it.

That is not the case since starting weight training. I am up early to get my workout in, to start my day off early. If I have things I need to get done then I try to get done what I can because when my body says it's tired, then I listen and go to bed, even if I had things to do.

Do you feel like it's OK to push your body, missing out on sleep?

When your body gives you the signal that it needs sleep, you should listen. Why? This is the time when your body gets to recover from the stress you put it through during the day. It's like when you are sick and all you want to do is sleep. Your body knows when it needs sleep and when it needs to recover from something.

If you feel like there are other things that are more important than getting adequate sleep, your body will show you signs, even as soon as 48 hours after you have been missing out on a good nights sleep. Why should that matter? Well, it's not as easy to lift heavy weights if you are groggy and unable to focus. That is when injuries happen. 


How can you help get those zzz's?

Set an alarm and stick to it, every day.  Make it a routine, even if it is an off day, stick to the same routine. If you fluctuate all over the place sleeping different times each day.

Make sure your room is dark, any light can disturb your sleep. Try not to sleep with the tv on or even keep it out of your bedroom all together.

Don't do a hard workout before bed, that will raise your heart rate and make it harder to get in a state of calm or even eat a big meal after 5 or 6, especially things containing caffeine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment